Tuesday, October 8, 2013

What The Heck is Ghee?

I grew up in a family that is half holistic, and half the far other extreme.  Ghee is a common noun in part of my family's vocabulary, but I didn't really know much about it until just recently.  Boy was I missing out!!


What is Ghee?
Pronounced "gee" with a hard g, ghee is clarified butter used for cooking.  Mainly used in Indian cooking, ghee is butter with the milk solids, proteins and water removed, thus making it clarified.  What remains in ghee from regular butter is the clear oil. Ghee has been around for thousands of years and stems from ayurveda, the ancient Indian science of medicine.  


Why Should I Care?

Ghee is a very stable cooking oil and can be heated to high temperatures without going rancid.  Olive oil, which is extremely healthy and a great source of omega-3s, is actually an UNSTABLE cooking oil and when heated to medium-high heat, can break down and become carcinogenic.  The absolute opposite of what well-intended healthy people are trying to achieve!!  Ghee is a great alternative to cooking and provides amazing nourishment. Save the olive oil for salads and dips.


What are Some Other Benefits of Ghee?

  • Supports digestion
  • Adds a healthy glow to the skin
  • Provides mental clarity
  • Can use even if intolerant to milk, as milk proteins are removed
  • Has a higher smoke point than butter
  • Rich in antioxidants and aids in the absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods
  • Lacks hydrogenated oils
  • Strengthens the immune system

Organic, grass-fed ghee is the best quality, naturally.



I am very lucky that my uncle prepares his own ghee and is generous enough to share.  I use it for all of my roasting  and high-heat cooking needs, including this ripe for Autumn butternut squash recipe.

As with other saturated fats, you should use sparingly and only what you need for cooking.  

Have you tried ghee?  Leave a comment and let me know what you think!

Be well,

Janelle

Interested in learning more?  Please visit my website.






No comments:

Post a Comment