Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Salad to Transcend Seasons

Fall Foliage
New England Foliage

Today is late October and a gorgeous day in New England.  The foliage is at its peak. The temperature is in the mid-50's. The air is crisp yet still warm. In my opinion, it is a perfect day.

Such a vibrant day is filling me with so much energy, and urges me to be creative with my food.  I'm inspired to make my favorite salad that transcends all seasons, my Apple Chicken Sausage Spinach Salad!  It transcends all seasons as it uses spinach, which is not identifiable with Fall, but yet is one of the world's most healthiest vegetables, so in my opinion, should be used at any time during the year.

What Are The Health Benefits of Spinach?


  • Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Cancer Properties
  • Antioxidant Properties
  • Rich in Vitamin K, Calcium, and Magnesium - Important for Bone Health

For more information on the health benefits of spinach, please refer to this article by Dr. John Douillard HERE.


What does SCREAM Fall is what goes in the salad.  Home made chicken apple sausage complete with caramelized onions!

Chicken-Apple Sausage

Ingredients:
- 1 pound organic ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons avocado or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet apple (I use Gala, but Honeycrisp works) peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
 - Heat the oil in a pan over a medium flame.
- Add onion and cook, stirring until the onions begin to soften (about 2 minutes)
- Add apples and cook, stirring for 2 more minutes
- Transfer to a large bowl and let cool
- Clean pan
- Add chicken, sage, and spices to the bowl with the apples and onions.  Gently mix and fold to combine
- Add in honey
- Add more oil to the pan and heat over medium flame
- Portion out mixture into either patties (makes 4) or small bites (makes about 12).
- Cook until the patties or small bites are browned and thoroughly cooked through, approximately 3 minutes on each side

Now you're done!  All that is left is to grab a large salad bowl, wash and rinse your organic spinach (I use baby), place the patty or bites of chicken-apple sausage on top, and fold gently.  I like to add in extra apple chunks and onions for garnish.

Do you have a favorite Fall salad?  I'd love to hear!  Please feel free to leave a comment below.


Be well,

Janelle

Interested in learning more?  Please visit my website.




No comments:

Post a Comment